University of Calgary

In July 1957, the University of Alberta signed a one dollar lease with the City of Calgary, for 121.4 hectares (300 acres) of land. In 1958, the University of Alberta changed the name of the branch campus to the "University of Alberta in Calgary," and unveiled plans for new permanent facilities on the leased land. The new campus opened its first permanent facilities in October 1960, the Arts and Education Building (presently the Administration Building), and the Science and Engineering Building (presently Science A).

"although the university is accountable to the society that supports it, the university must insist on playing a leadership role in intellectual matters if it is to be worthy of the name."

The University of Calgary played a central role in facilitating and hosting Canada's first winter olympic games, the XV Olympic Winter Games in 1988.

Science Theatres is home to the natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities.
The Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity in Banff, Alberta has been associated with the University of Calgary since 1966.

The library system at the University of Calgary also has seven library branches:

In addition, the gift will also be used to create the Taylor Quadrangle, a green space in the centre of campus adjacent to the TFDL.

Entrance to Innovate Calgary, the University of Calgary's business incubator.

In 1995, the Province of Alberta gave the University of Calgary a large tract of land west of the Main Campus with the understanding it would be used in the future to advance the university's mission, vision, values and priorities. About a third of the size of downtown Calgary, the land overlooks the Bow River valley and covers 80 hectares (198 acres) east of Shaganappi Trail between 16th Avenue (TransCanada Highway) and 32 Avenue N.W. The western campus lies on mostly hilly terrain, near the Bow River. It is adjacent to the main campus of the university, and is home to the Alberta Children's Hospital and Child Development Centre. With the recent boost in annual funding, the university has begun a development plan in order to make better use of the remaining space. Dubbed the University District, the area is to include a mixture of residential and commercial development.

The School of Public Policy is an institute at the University of Calgary and was founded in 2008 and now based out of the Downtown Campus. The school is devoted to public policy research and education, and is led by economist Dr. Jack Mintz who is cross-appointed to the Faculty of Law. It is home to over 60 faculty and fellows. The school is organized into three policy areas: Economic and Social Policy, Energy and Environmental Policy, and International Policy. Since 2012 the school has offered a graduate degree program, the Master of Public Policy. The degree is structured as a 12-month program involving two semesters of classroom-based learning and one semester of project work. Other degree programs offered include a joint Master of Business Administration/Master of Public Policy and a joint Juris Doctor/Master of Public Policy.

The university is home to MacEwan Hall Ballroom, a concert venue holding 1000 people. The Ballroom is also used for conferences, dinners, and political debates, including the 2006 Alberta PC leadership debate.

Many other sport facilities are also located at the University of Calgary. These include among others:

The University of Calgary offers a wide range of residences on campus as a significant proportion of undergraduate and graduate students reside on campus. Approximately 2500 to 3000 students and faculty members live on-campus each Academic year.

The University of Calgary names its Residence buildings after prominent mountain ranges in the area.

The Chi Gamma Chapter of the Zeta Psi Fraternity was chartered at the University of Calgary on December 9, 1967, and is the oldest Greek organization on campus. As such, the chapter has been contributing to campus life for over five decades. Zeta Psi – Chi Gamma has several hundred alumni that continue to support both the active chapter as well as the University of Calgary. For over 40 years the Zete Haus has provided economical student housing and has been a focal point for Greek life, being the closest chapter house to campus at approximately 500 meters from MacEwan Hall. The Chi Gamma chapter reactivated in 2014 with 20 members, after having been deactivated in 2008 due to a lack of competitiveness on campus. The active and alumni chapters of Chi Gamma collectively celebrated their fiftieth anniversary on December 9, 2017.

The Mu Lambda Chapter of the Kappa Sigma fraternity was founded in 1981. The Mu Lambda chapter house is located on 24 Avenue NW, approximately one and a half kilometres from the University of Calgary.

The Phi Gamma Delta fraternity, also known as Fiji, is one of the three other fraternities present at the university. Founded in 1982, Phi Gamma Delta is the most recent Greek Fraternity to establish a chapter at the University of Calgary. The Fiji chapter house is located on 24 Avenue NW, approximately one kilometre from campus.

The University of Calgary offers many scholarships, awards, and bursaries to students.

Graduate students are also eligible for the prestigious Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarships. Awards are available in thirds, two-thirds, or full increments, and are valued at $10,800 at the Master's level and $15,000 at the PhD level. These are provincially funded awards and are available to graduate students at some other Albertan post-secondary institutions.

A number of individuals are associated with the University of Calgary, either as former alumni, or faculty. The university has also produced 14 Rhodes scholars. Notable alumni of the university include: