Pontifical Biblical Institute
The Pontifical Biblical Institute (also known as "Biblicum"), is a research and postgraduate teaching institution specialised in biblical and ancient Near Eastern studies. It is an institution of the Holy See entrusted to the Society of Jesus.
The Pontifical Biblical Institute was founded by Pope Pius X in the Apostolic Letter Vinea Electa in 1909 as a centre of advanced studies in Holy Scripture. At first, the institute prepared students for exams at the Pontifical Biblical Commission. In 1916, it was licensed by Pope Benedict XV to grant academic degrees in the name of the Commission, and in 1928, it was licensed by Pope Pius XI to grant doctorates in affiliation with the Pontifical Gregorian University, independently of the Commission. In 1927, a branch was opened in Jerusalem. In 1932, the Oriental Faculty was founded.