Edward Dow (architect)
Dow was born in Lemington, Vermont, July 11, 1820. The son of a carpenter, he began learning his father's trade at a young age. At the age of 16, the family moved to Newport, New Hampshire, where young Dow began an apprenticeship with Ruel Durkee. In 1847 he moved to Concord and established himself as a carpenter. By 1851 he had established the firm of Colby & Dow, builders, with J. M. Colby. Around 1856 he set out on his own again, this time as an architect.
He remained in private practice until 1876, when he took Giles Wheeler (1834-1915) into Dow & Wheeler. Wheeler had, years before, apprenticed with Colby & Dow, and had rejoined the firm in 1873. The two worked together until 1885, when Wheeler left to supervise the construction of the new U. S. Post Office. However, Dow continued to practice as Dow & Wheeler until 1890. That year, James E. Randlett (1846-1909), formerly the keeper of the state house, became a partner. Dow & Randlett was dissolved upon Dow's death in 1894.