Discovery Channel (Canadian TV channel)

Discovery Channel (often referred to as simply Discovery) is a Canadian specialty television channel owned by Bell Media Inc. (a joint venture between Bell Media (80%) and Discovery, Inc. (which owns the remaining 20%). The channel is devoted to nature, adventure, science and technology programming.

Licensed by the (CRTC) in 1994, Discovery Channel launched on January 1, 1995 under the ownership of NetStar Communications Inc.

On March 24, 2000, the CRTC approved a proposal by CTV Inc. to acquire voting interest in NetStar Communications Inc. CTV renamed the company CTV Speciality Television Inc.

A high definition simulcast feed of Discovery Channel that broadcasts in the 1080i resolution format was launched on August 15, 2003.[1] The feed would later be shut down on December 19, 2005, and be replaced by a separate category 2 digital cable specialty channel called Discovery HD Theatre.

On June 17, 2011, Bell Media announced that it would launch, for a second time, an HD simulcast feed of Discovery Channel; this feed was launched on August 18, 2011.[2]

In November 2015, Bell Media announced Discovery Channel Canada's first original scripted drama, the Jason Momoa-fronted Frontier, chronicling the North American fur trade. The series was picked up internationally by Netflix.[3]

In addition to shows acquired from its American counterpart, the Canadian Discovery Channel produced much of its own original programming through its Exploration Production group including its former flagship daily science news program, Daily Planet, and its own domestic version of Cash Cab.[4] Several programs produced by the Canadian Discovery Channel (such as How It's Made) have also aired on the U.S Science Channel.

Since 2018, enabled by the 2015 retirement of CRTC genre protection rules which mandated that it predominantly air factual programming,[5] the channel has added reruns of scripted series from other Bell Media networks that contain scientific themes, such as The Big Bang Theory and CSI: NY.