Carmel, New York
The Town of Carmel is on the southern border of Putnam County, abutting Westchester County. There are no incorporated villages in the town, although the hamlets of Carmel and Mahopac each have populations sizable enough to be thought of as villages.
The town was settled around 1740 by George Hughson. On the night of April 26, 1777, after learning the news that the British had begun burning nearby Danbury, Connecticut, sixteen-year-old Sybil Ludington rode her horse, Star, the entire night through the hamlets of Carmel, Mahopac, Kent Cliffs and Farmers Mills, warning those along the way that the British were coming before returning home at dawn. A statue memorializing Sybil Ludington sits alongside Lake Gleneida.
Carmel was formed with Franklin town from part of Frederick town on March 17, 1795, while still a part of Dutchess County. (Franklin was renamed Patterson April 6, 1808. Frederick changed its name to Kent April 15, 1817.) Carmel was transferred to Putnam County when Dutchess County was split to form Putnam County in 1812 and Carmel was designated the county seat. In 1861, a small part of Carmel was taken to be added to the town of Putnam Valley.
The Putnam County Courthouse was built in 1814. It is the second oldest working courthouse in New York State. General James Townsend, of Carmel, was the architect. A landmark on Gleneida Avenue in Carmel, the building has a classical front facade. There was one hanging there in 1844. A jail was added in 1855. A new Putnam County Courthouse was completed in early 2008, located nearby on Gleneida Avenue.
Law Enforcement is primarily handled by the Carmel Police Department, with the Putnam County Sheriff's Department and the New York State Police supplementing coverage.
Fire Protection Services are provided by the Carmel Fire Department, Lake Carmel Fire Department, Mahopac Volunteer Fire Department, and Mahopac Falls Volunteer Fire Department.
Emergency Medical Services are provided to the town based on nature and location of emergency. Basic Life Support Ambulance service is provided by Carmel Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Mahopac Volunteer Fire Department, and Mahopac Falls Volunteer Fire Department. Advanced Life Support Ambulance and First Response service is provided by EMStar Ambulance under contract by Putnam County Bureau of Emergency Services.
George Fischer Middle School is Carmel's primary Middle School. Built in 1963, it was named after a former school board member, George F. Fischer. It contains a large number of students (1,000+), and contains grades 5–8. It is notable for its music program.
Constructed in 1929, Carmel High School, which serves 1,843 students, is located on Fair Street across the street from the post office in the heart of town. The original building had four additions built over the years. One was built in 1936 with money from the New Deal. One was built in 1969, and another in 1980. The fourth was opened in September 2007. The new wing holds science classrooms and a library.
St. James the Apostle is a Catholic elementary school in Carmel that opened in 1954; it serves as an additional educational option for families.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 40.7 square miles (105 km2), of which 36.1 square miles (93 km2) is land and 4.6 square miles (12 km2) is water. The total area is 11.26% water.
The south town line is the border of Westchester County, New York. The town is located approximately 50 miles (80 km) north of New York City (measured from Central Park) and approximately 10 miles (16 km) west of Danbury, Connecticut.