770 Broadway is a large mixed-use commercial office building in NoHo, Manhattan, in Lower Manhattan, New York City. The building occupies an entire square block between 9th and 8th Streets from north to south, and between Broadway and Fourth Avenue, from west to east. It was originally home to the now-defunct Wanamaker's department store.
770 Broadway was built between 1903 and 1907 by American architect Daniel Burnham as an annex to the original Wanamaker's department store in New York, which was across 9th Street to the north and had started its life as A. T. Stewart's "Iron Palace" in 1862. The two buildings were connected by a sky bridge, dubbed the "Bridge of Progress", as well as a tunnel that ran under 9th Street. The Annex originally included a central court, as well as an Auditorium that housed an important pipe organ and where ambitious musicales were held with top musicians and orchestras. The Wanamaker Auditorium was also an early television studio. In 1954, due to the northward migration of the shopping district, Wanamaker's decided to close the business. The northern lot was sold in 1955 and a fire the next year gutted the Stewart building while it was under demolition. The annex at 770 Broadway survived, however, and was turned into office space that quickly filled with tenants, among them Chemical Bank (now J.P. Morgan Chase).
Currently, it serves as the New York or worldwide headquarters to several major global brands, including:
The basement, street-level, and second floor are tenanted by a Kmart Discount Department store, opened in 1996.